So with project ‘get lean for summer’ in full swing I was on the lookout for some healthy, nutritious snacks that would also satisfy my sweet tooth! I decided to make some energy balls. I have made some similar to these before using the ‘Green Goddess’ Mum on the Run powder (see earlier post) but these are a little bit different and do not include the ‘Mum on the run’ powder in the recipe. They are also delicious, as agreed by my notoriously fussy fiancé. Admittedly they do resemble something created by a dung beetle, even with the added decorative almonds! But don’t judge a book by its cover. I promise these are good and it’s a lot cheaper to make your own rather than buy the various well known brands of energy balls available in supermarkets and health food stores.
- 100g pitted dates
- 100g Almonds
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 15g cocoa powder
- Three dessert spoons of coconut oil
- One dessert spoon of crunchy peanut butter (one that is 100% peanuts is healthiest)
- Blend the nuts first to a powder like consistency, then empty into a large mixing bowl
- Blend dates and desiccated coconut to a similar fine consistency and add to the bowl of nuts
- Add the cocoa powder to the mixture
- Put coconut oil and peanut butter into a microwaveable bowl and heat until runny enough to mix but not hot then add this to the date and nut mix
- Stir together ingredients with a spoon until combined and then form into even sizes balls with your hands (my balls each weighed around 34g-37g and I got 11 balls in total).
- Put into the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours to harden up and enjoy!
I made my balls using a Breville blender, if you have a more powerful, ‘fancy’ blender you may be able to add all the ingredients at the same time and just whizz it all up together. I would recommend doing the nuts first though to avoid lumps. The completed balls can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks…but I doubt they will last that long!
I am planning on experimenting with some more healthy recipe ideas, the successful ones I will post on here. Bear with me though, I am not known for my cooking talents!
If you try these lovely balls do let me know how you find them!