If you don’t want to pay for a personal trainer or don’t have access to a gym YouTube can be a fantastic resource to get fit in the comfort of your own home. There are so many channels, many of which are run by qualified personal trainers, that provide great workouts that you can do with little to no exercise equipment. I am currently completing the T25 programme but long before I started this or BBG I was doing YouTube videos. It’s where I learned how to correctly use kettlebells and developed a love for them and it’s really where my fitness journey began. I thought I would write this post for any fitness newbies out there who aren’t sure where to start when it comes to YouTube. These are some of my personal favourite channels that I still use on a fairly regular basis.
- FitnessBlender a great channel run by a husband and wife duo. They literally have everything you need on here from beginner to advanced workouts, both using weights or no equipment at all. There are workouts for different areas of the body and of varying length, all you need to do is search for something that suits you and get started.
- BodyFit by Amy I love this channel. It has some great time effective kettlebell workouts on it but also it’s great for mums. There are some really good post partum exercises to help strengthen the core post baby, I personally did these regularly after having my son. As with any type of exercise after have a baby make sure you have the all clear from a doctor before starting.
- GlowBody PT this channel provides some great prenatal workouts. I worked out throughout my pregnancy until the day before my son was born and I really credit that for helping body recover quickly after he arrived.
- TheBodyCoach TV I mainly use this channel for when I want to get a good HIIT workout in or if I am running low on time but want to do something. The workouts are fairly short and the channel caters for beginners through to more advanced levels. Joe Wicks is funny and down to earth in his approach to which makes the workouts more enjoyable.
- DanielPT Lifestyle coaching I literally discovered this channel yesterday and I am so glad that I did. I did one of Daniels HIIT kettlebell workouts and I loved it and his other workouts look really good aswell so I can’t wait to try some more. It only took me half an hour yesterday and my muscles are aching today, plus I even learned some new moves that I had never tried before.
- HAsfit this is a husband and wife duo that have some really great workouts, you could even do them with your partner.
- PopSUGAR fitness probably one of the better known channels. Literally hundreds of different workouts on there to choose from.
- GymRa another one of my favourite channels. This one has some great Pilates/Yoga style workouts to try.
- Tereza workout this one will probably be the least well-known on the list. The reason I have included it is because it’s helpful for anybody who is thinking about doing Kayla Itsines BBG. Tereza has literally filmed herself doing the workouts of BBG 1.0 and posted them on YouTube real-time. It gives anybody a chance to see what BBG is about and even give it a try if they want before purchasing.
Those are just a few of my favourite YouTube channels for workouts. For anybody who is a beginner wanting to start getting fit from YouTube I would recommend that you workout in front of a mirror so that you can monitor your technique. It is important to use the correct form with some exercises or you could injure yourself. If you are planning on using weights never sacrifice your form for the sake of lifting heavier or again you could injure yourself, start low and build your way up. It doesn’t take long for your strength to increase when you commit. And of course if you are a new mum always have the all clear from a doctor before beginning your post partum fitness journey, search for postpartum specific workouts to start off with and check for Diastasis recti (see earlier post) and do the exercises to repair that before launching into hundreds of crunches.
Aside from the workout videos there are also some great fitness YouTubers that post videos centered around what they eat in a day. These can be really helpful for anybody looking for inspiration when it comes to eating healthily which is really important to see results from your exercise. I will do another post on my favourite fitness YouTubers for healthy eating at some point in case that would be helpful.